The Sun International Bursary Programme administered by Studietrust grants bursaries to students in areas of studies relevant to the hospitality and leisure industry:
- Food & Beverage Studies
- Hospitality Studies (at all levels and in all areas of specialization)
- Hotel Management
- Human Resource Management
- Sport and Recreation Studies
- Marketing and Sales
- Information Technology
- Management Studies
- Finance (Accounting)
- Electrical Engineering (light current) (at FETC level)
- Plumbing (at FETC level).
Who may apply?
Preference is given to:
- current Grade 12 learners
- matriculated applicants waiting for a study opportunity
- full-time students in their first year studying towards qualifications in the fields specified above
- female applicants from previously disadvantaged communities
- applicants who live in close proximity of Sun International Hotels and Resorts.
Bursary amount: R15 000 – R40 000 (max) p.a.
Main selection criteria: Academic merit and financial need.
Bursary Application Forms
Applications will only be considered if completed in full and if all the supporting documents have been included and signed by the applicant. Documents that accompany the application form must be certified:
1. A copy of your mid-year/June examination results. If you are not studying this year, send a copy of your latest exam results, together with an explanation of what you are doing this year. This is essential as the exam results play an important role in the selection process.
2. Matric/NSC results: If you have already completed matric/NSC, include your results, together with your latest tertiary (June) results. This is compulsory for all tertiary students.
3. Two testimonials: One testimonial from a responsible educational official, e. g. your principal or lecturer and the other by a community, political or spiritual leader. Use the testimonial forms in the application form or attach suitable testimonials.
4. Write an essay on your life on the page included. Use additional pages if necessary. This must be written by you. Your parent, guardian or friend may write a letter of recommendation.
5. Proof of salaries* of parent(s), guardian or spouse (*e.g. payslip, letter from employer, sworn statement or tax return statement).
6. A copy of your South African ID.
NB: Please apply timeously for admission to the university of technology of your choice. Consult the website of the relevant universities of technology for their application deadlines. Career advice is available from SAQA Career Advice Services: Helpline Number: 0860 111 673; or sms / email your question to 0722045056 / email@example.com.
When completing the application form, please clearly specify the exact study programme for which you need a bursary, the name of the educational institution where you plan to study and the year of study.
Changing your study programme after submitting your application form may lead to a cancellation of the bursary, if granted.
No bursaries are available for private tertiary institutions.
Bursary Application Process
Applicants could either complete the online application form or request a hardcopy application form to be sent by e-mail or surface mail.
For applying online, please follow this link. Indicate in the relevant space that you are applying for a Sun International bursary.
For receiving an application form by e-mail, please request one in one of two ways:
- sms the word STUDY and your surname, initials and e-mail address to 31022. Standard rates apply.
- send an e-mail message (“Please send me a bursary application form”) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- download an application form from the Studietrust website .
- sms the word STUDY and your surname, initials, postal address and postal code to 31022. Standard rates apply.
- send an e-mail message with your surname, initials, postal address and postal code to email@example.com.
- send a letter with your surname, initials, postal address and postal code to: The National Director, Studietrust, PO Box 29192, Melville, 2109.
Bursary Application Dates
The closing date for submitting your completed application form with all supporting documents is 30 September. This deadline applies to all modes of application.
Studietrust (Sun International’s bursary administrator) receives thousands of application forms each year and it is therefore not possible for us to acknowledge receipt of all completed forms. All applications will be considered and selection will take place from September to December. All applicants will be notified of the outcome not later than 31 December.
Enter Your Email For Latest Bursaries: